Hi, yes, I’m 30 years old and I suffer from acne!
Eyeroll so effing hard.
If you’re like me and are too lazy to see a dermatologist/don’t have the time, don’t have health insurance that covers it, or can’t afford the co-pay/prescriptions – you are probably getting a little desperate.
I can relate.
Okay before I go any further I just want to put this out there: I am NOT a doctor. I can’t give you any medical advice, but what I CAN do is tell you what works for me.
It took me thirty literal years to find out that my skin was dehydrated, which was not only causing me to get oily, but causing my skin to break out as well.
Dehydrated skin is different than dry skin, friends. As this article from Dermalogica points out, dehydrated skin lacks water and dry skin lacks sebum (aka oil). With dehydrated skin, you can feel both oily and dry at the same time, suffer from acne, and your skin often looks dull and feels tight.
With dry skin, it’s often thought of as a skin condition from birth and doesn’t just affect your face. Dry skin is often itchy, flaky, and uncomfortable, and those who suffer from dry skin often need to moisturize constantly throughout the day with oil-rich products.
So how do you know if you have dehydrated skin? Go ahead and pinch your cheek. Does your skin wrinkle up and take a second or two to bounce back? Does your face feel tight after you wash it
Yeah you might have dehydrated skin. Sorry, dude. But the good news is that this is easily treatable!
Step 1. Drink more effing water.
Enough said. Just do it. If your skin is dehydrated, chances are that you aren’t getting enough water. So drink up buttercup.
Step 2. Hydrating Layers.
Layers, people. LAYERS. Like not just one product, maybe not even two depending on how dehydrated your skin is. I use three hydrating products each morning and four at night.
Step 3. Be diligent with your routine!
Don’t stop when you start to see some results! Make your skin care routine a habit you intently keep.
My routine and the products I use are below.
- Swipe of Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water to remove any products used the night before or anything I might have picked up from my pillowcase
- Thayer’s Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner to tighten my pores and soothe my skin
- Sunday Riley C.E.O. Glow for hydration and Vitamin C. I just bought this the other week and it has already changed my skin so much. I love it!
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel Cream – this stuff is bombbbbbbbb ya’ll
- Cerave Ultra-Light Moisturizer with SPF 30 because SUNSCREEN is necessary (I have a sunspot on my cheek to prove it)
- Micellar Cleansing Water to remove makeup
- Cleanse with Cerave Hydrating Facial Cleanser
- A swipe of Thayer’s Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner
- More Sunday Riley C.E.O. Glow because this shit is life-changing
- COSRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence for some extra hydration while I sleep – this stuff is made specifically for dehydrated skin and I love it
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel Cream
- Finish with Cerave Moisturizing Cream, which is heavier than my day-time cream
If do decide to use any of the products I’ve listed here, please use my links if you can! I receive a very small affiliate commission if you make a purchase using those links, which helps to keep my blog afloat.
Does it sound like you might have dehydrated skin? Try adding some hydrating products and ditch the ones that dry you out (I’m off acids altogether at this point). I fully stand by the products I’ve listed above – I hope you love them as much as I do!